Commercial Contracts Manager (9-month contract)
Reporting to the UK & International Legal Counsel, we are looking for a motivated, organized, self-starting person with at least 5 years of in-house experience focusing on commercial contract matters including: (a) negotiation of commercial contracts, non-disclosure agreements, novation agreements, service level agreements, and other legal documents (b) advising on commercial contract law, particularly IP and licensing, compliance with laws, preventive counselling with respect to business practices and (c) effective management of the commercial contract process with clients. The successful candidate will exhibit a practical, solution-driven, business-based approach to problem solving and exceptional communication and interpersonal skills that facilitate prompt, constructive solutions for business partners on matters pertaining to contract management and strategy, operating standards, best practices and standards related to business, laws and regulations.
- Manage a variety of commercial agreements in accordance with company policies and procedures, applicable laws and client requirements.
- Review, draft and adapt various types of commercial agreements, including software, technology and data licensing agreements, as well as purchasing/vendor contracts to meet the needs of business partners.
- Negotiate various types of commercial agreements directly with clients with support from Legal Counsel
- Provide practical advice, guidance and support to business partners to ensure that the interests of the business are protected, supported and are in compliance with applicable laws
- Review, scrutinize, and develop operational process flows for contract management.
- Ensure that all stakeholders, such as administration, commercial, operations, and finance understand and adhere to contractual obligations; reflecting them accurately
- Update policies and procedures
- Monitor contract performance and compliance
- Establish and maintain strong business relationships with internal and external stakeholders including effective management of contract enquiries, issues, disputes, variations, risks compliance and performance.
- Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in contract negotiation and process management with a strong focus on commercial transactions.
- Experience advising internal clients about legal risks, negotiation strategies, and proposed courses of action to mitigate risk.
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to learn quickly the company’s business model and the related critical legal issues.
- Strong, pragmatic commercially minded business acumen, including the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice.
- Sound problem solving skills combined with the ability to quickly assess potential for risk and opportunity and offer practical business solutions to reach resolution.
- A strong work ethic and client-service orientation. Ability to work effectively with all levels of management, to manage multiple projects simultaneously, exercise sound judgment and work independently and efficiently, and meet deadlines with consistently high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment.
- Considerable personal credibility, including excellent client management, communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills, combined with the ability to work well in a fluid/fast-paced, self-directed and highly collaborative team environment.
- High professional ethics; good judgment; initiative; the ability to articulate legal positions and strategies concisely and quickly (in a manner understood by non-legal clients and business partners); take independent and decisive action; the flexibility to prioritize conflicting demands from multiple sources.
- Demonstrate self-confidence and respect for others, regardless of position, and willingness to work as a team member.
- A legal qualification would an advantage but is not essential.